View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MicroMacro
Now what?

Originally Posted by ALinNS View Post
I have a little over 7 months of recovery from alcohol,

I was a closet binge drinker back in the day and as such I always had a stash of booze somewhere,

When I sobered up I threw everything I could find out,

I find empties in some box's that I look in that were not unpacked and recently in the attic looking for things I found empties,

Here is the issue, once in the while my better half will find an empty in the house, ... and the conversation are you drinking starts,

Last evening was the exception, this past week I was in my attic ... found some empties and threw them in the recycling,

She came to our home early yesterday as I was at work and I knew by the way she was acting when I came home something was off, it came out later in the evening she had found empties in the room where I keep recycling,

I have no reason to hide them as I am not drinking and I explained where they came from, she insisted I had relapsed although I haven't.

How do you folks handle this?

I would point out we are an older couple, have an amazing relationship, but there seems to me a lack of letting go of the old me but I may be wrong.
That's a lot of empties. Put yourself in her position. How is she supposed to react when she's either finding hidden bottles or finding ones you placed in recycling? The sight of them creates fear in her each time.

I'm surprised that you're so surprised she's angry. Has it occurred to you that she's probably sick and tired of seeing alcohol bottles around the house - hidden or not? And after 7 months, it's still an issue - all because you haven't taken the time to comb the house thoroughly to make sure they're all gone.

So - why not do that?

It does beg the question - how may can there be ... ?