View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
2muchpain

I have incredible admiration and respect for the young people I see at AA meetings. Their ability to be so mature and aware of their situation is something I can't relate to. I just don't know how they do it. I wish I would of been lucky enough to know people like them when I was their age. There is no way you could catch me in an AA meeting at their age. I never even heard of AA. I think it's great how they are so energetic about sobriety and how they support each other, but from my experiences, many are not so keen about having old farts like me around them. I stopped going to the young people's meetings cause of the strange looks and occasional comments I would get. Don't blame them. I'd feel the same way if I was their age. I'd see anybody in their 30's as long in the tooth. Their probably supprised to see anybody my age that has any teeth!! But it's all good. Many of the old-timers were once young-timers. But I do miss the young people's groups. Their energy and positive attitude was very uplifting. Don't see much of that with people my age. Substitute teaching does help me keep a positive outlook on life so I feel lucky for that. No offense, but being around people my age all the time can be a real drag, and just gives me excuses to drink!! John