Thread: giving in
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
August252015

^^^Me, too.

In addition to the comments above about 2 days (what I hope now is day 3!) being great but merely the start to getting sober and, more importantly, recovering, I would add the AA adage "time takes time." Many alcoholics WANT IT NOW (whatever IT is) and that includes recovery- "the other side" - feeling healthy- etc. It doesn't happen that way.

I can promise you- absolutely, 100% etc- that life is immeasurably better sober in every single way. You don't believe that now- that's common. I was on the brink of death when I quit 369 days ago, and what I knew was this: I didn't know what to expect getting sober, but I knew I wanted it much more than I wanted what I had if I kept on drinking, which was certain death.

AA is my lifeline- the suggestion of 90 in 90 (even 30 in 30) is made for a reason - habit forming, listening at the beginning, starting to "get" what it is about....all of it.

You can choose to get and stay sober. Every alcoholic can. I hope you do and that we see you around.

Last comment- if you haven't, check out the Class of Feb 2017 group under Newcomers Daily Support Threads. It has folks who have quit (or even want to) this month so you will likely find common thoughts, questions and certainly support.