Notices

giving in

Old 02-24-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

giving in

I've tried to stop drinking but I just cant see the point anymore after the first couple of days of sweating and shaking I started to feel really down and anxious I thought I'd feel better but I feel worse.

I'm so miserable , its all too much I'm so anxious I cant even leave the house or go to the shop I* end up sitting on my arse all day watching telly.

This is no way to live, I cant go on like this.
*Without drinking there's just no escape from it all.

I tried to go to an AA meeting but it didn't feel right.
I just have to get out of my head for one night I realise now the only thing making my life bearable was alcohol . I'm going to start drinking again. I've already lost everything good in my life so I figure I've got nothing left to lose now by drinking again. I'm sorry everyone I don't know how you all do it but I cant.

I feel stupid for joining this forum in the first place and stupid for calling myself an alcoholic when I'm too young.

goodbye
Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by drunkgirl97 View Post
I feel stupid for joining this forum in the first place and stupid for calling myself an alcoholic when I'm too young.
To young to be an alcoholic? You can't even go a couple days without drinking. You're miserable because you can't drink. Maybe you aren't an alcoholic, but if you can't see the problem that alcohol is causing you, then nothing we say will convince you.

But before you leave, re-read your first post. Something brought your here. That something (your drinking) won't change if you leave here. Except probably get worse.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No such thing as too young.

If alcohol is causing you problems, that's reason enough to stop.

Two days? I didn't start feeling even a little bit normal for at least a week. I didn't get a good night's sleep for the first month. I couldn't control my emotions for the first couple months. All I wanted to eat was sweet stuff. I was mad at everything and everyone.

Honestly, you've got to make it past the discomfort of withdrawal - then you have to figure out how to live life free and happy - doesn't sound like you believe that's possible. It is.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I attempted to quit alcohol so many times I can't count them. I too would give in because I saw no point in quitting.

I finally hit rock bottom and knew I had to quit drinking or stay drunk 24/7 until I died an early death.

That was 4 months ago today...I am glad I chose to quit. It wasn't easy the first few months but it was worth it.

I am still not 100% - I may never be. But I am better off sober.

You will know in your heart and soul when it is time to stop the madness.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Sorry you are struggling.I have no idea what age you are,but I know several Alcoholics who stopped drinking before the age of 20.

You are not going to feel better after 2 days of sobriety,that is way to soon,unfortunately you have to get through the early days of withdrawl,then things start to improve.

If you go back drinking things will get worse for you.

Please give sobriety another go.

Wishing you well.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please know that at two days you have zero experience with being sober.

It takes longer than that for your body and mind to recover even partially.

So if you decide to drink, at least acknowledge that what you're rejecting isn't sobriety, it's withdrawal.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I hope you reconsider drunkgirl. There's no such thing as "too young" or "too old" to quit drinking. It will be difficult at first, the initial withdrawals take several days, sometimes even a week or more.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

too young to be an alcoholic- the best AA speaker I heard was 42 years old and just celebrated 28 years sober.
I hope ya don't make the decision to not try AA on 1 meeting. seems goin to meetings would be a great way to get out of your head.

drunkgirl, if youre like most of us, you've been drinkin for a long time. things aint gonna change in a couple days.
yes, there is an escape from it all without alcohol.

I did it by having faith in those that went before me that said it will get better if I work for it and fought through the agony of early recovery.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

haha yeah two days isn't to bad at all I think I'm just down because the last time I got drunk I fell over and smashed my face up pretty bad ....the truth is I'm scared to start drinking again I don't really want to go back to that.
I don't know what wrong with me why I cant just drink a couple of drinks and stop at that . anyway I'm not going to get wasted tonight .
Old 02-24-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What's "wrong" with you is that you're an alcoholic like us.

Welcome to the world's largest club that no one wanted to join. I was drinking alcoholically before I turned 18.

That inability to quit at one or two (consistently, not just that one time ) is pretty much the definition. Let it go, a better life awaits.

It's a biological fact that some people cannot process alcohol in a safe way. A genetic roll of the dice...nothing wrong with you. Some people are born with red hair or green eyes. Here, read this:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 02-24-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've tried to stop drinking but I just cant see the point anymore after the first couple of days of sweating and shaking I started to feel really down and anxious I thought I'd feel better but I feel worse.

I'm so miserable , its all too much I'm so anxious I cant even leave the house or go to the shop I* end up sitting on my arse all day watching telly.

*Without drinking there's just no escape from it all.

I just have to get out of my head for one night I realise now the only thing making my life bearable was alcohol . I'm going to start drinking again. I've already lost everything good in my life so I figure I've got nothing left to lose now by drinking again. I'm sorry everyone I don't know how you all do it but I cant.

goodbye
There are quite a few things that stand out to me. Please don't take this as me being judgmental.

Basically, you have said that all of your troubles are rooted in the fact that you drink to much, correct? When you have attempted to quit you have withdrawals, correct? You feel stupid because you are to young to be an alcoholic, but you have joined a substance abuse website, correct?

I think you can see where I am going. I'm a believer in if all of the factors point to something being true then they're true. Whether you are an alcoholic or not you have a problem with alcohol and you should stop drinking. This would alleviate most of your problems.

It's not easy, as you are finding out, but with dedication and help you can change and things WILL get better. This I know from experience.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went to AA because it was either do that or die. It doesn't feel good in the beginning but if you have the "gift of desperation", as I did, go back. It works.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't know what wrong with me why I cant just drink a couple of drinks and stop at that . anyway I'm not going to get wasted tonight .
Same thing that's wrong with all of us...and the solution is the same for all of us too...don't drink ;-) Glad you aren't going to drink tonight either. Sometime the big picture gets a little too big....this early on just get through today, you'll be much happier that you didn't drink when tomorrow rolls around.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Welcome to the world's largest club that no one wanted to join
Oh Biminiblue - that should be crocheted on a pillow.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
Oh Biminiblue - that should be crocheted on a pillow.
I am definitely stealing that one!

YOU can do this! But you also have a ton of support here.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah, I stole it from someone else here. I didn't come up with that one. It is a good one liner!
Old 02-24-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

DG- please keep posting and reading. Every one is worth supporting, no one is alone. Don't drink.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

This is such a good description of how I felt every time I tried to get sober. It is why it took me right to deaths door at 22, before I was ready to do what it takes to quit. My experience up to that point was that sobriety was awful.

AA was the last resort. It didn't feel wrong but it felt uncomfortable, especially when I looked at the steps. But I had run out of options, I just had to take it on faith that if I did what they did I would get what they got. That was the same as my existing experience which was if I continued to do what I did, I would continue to get what I got.

What I set out to say was that AA got rid of the misery you describe. It made my life worthwhile, it changed things so that drinking was no longer necessary for me to deal with life.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's not stupid to reach out for help! I think it's very courageous of you!

Wishing you the best!!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i think the simple answer to why ya cant drink a couple and stop is because youre an alcoholic.