View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheRuralJuror

What to tell family/friends? Ok to lie?

I introduced myself in another thread but quickly - I am 32, wife/sta at home mom (2 toddlers). I do not drink daily, but always on weekends and always at social events. Usually too much. I know I need to stop, and truly I want to. I am sick of the hangovers and feeling like crap.

The social group my husband & I hang out with and both of our families (who we see a lot) do a lot of drinking - but I usually do the most. I just don't seem to stop when others do, but no one has ever mentioned they think it is a problem for me.

Anyway, I am obese and am having gastric bypass surgery in the next few months. I will have to stop drinking right after surgery or risk complications.

I guess my question is - is it "wrong" to lie to my friends and family and tell them I'm not drinking anymore in preparation for surgery? It's not truly a lie, but the real reason I want to stop drinking is that I just want to stop. Will lying to those close to me undermine my efforts or recovery?

I should be clear - my friends and family would be 100% supportive of me quitting because I want to quit. I just kind of don't want to deal with the shame of it/explaining it.

I have mentioned to a couple close girl friends in the past (when my drinking was heavier last spring/summer) that I needed to cut back on my drinking, they were kind of surprised to hear it (because they drink as often/same amount). No one told me it was a bad idea to stop, obviously, but I just kind of didn't want to talk about it any more.

Thoughts?