Old 02-20-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Whodathunk

Doug, first of all Great Job! This is the first time I will have commented without reading any other comments first. So I am sorry if I repeat what has been said.

There is no right or wrong way to AA. You will hear people say "If you don't do this, you won't find inner peace" or whatever it is. You will mostly hear that you have to do the steps and find get a sponsor. Truly, this is an individual choice and there is no successful rule to AA being a success. Think of it this way, conversely; you have probably heard a few stories from those who have RELAPSED, yet they have done the steps and have a sponsor and religiously attend meetings. Sobriety is not easy, or else we would not all be here.

Like you, when I first started going to AA, I felt like I was not doing it right, or that it would just take time. Then, well how damn long will it take? I got a sponsor and started doing the steps. I then thought I was not doing them 'right'. Then the dreaded 5th step, that was a doozy for me. I am a believer in things happening for a reason as I say this next part. I told my sponsor after a meeting that I had completed my fifth step. He said "Great, let's hear it". WTF? We were outside the door of the building on the deck with people coming and going and milling around after the meeting. But like a good AA'er, I started reading my 5th step. My sponsor shortly looked away then said, "Sorry, just couldn't help checking that out (a woman), go on." I was no where near done with it when he stopped me and said he had a business meeting to go to, but to call him later that evening and we could continue. I said okay, went to my car, and felt absolutely splayed up, gutted, vulnerable and horrified that I had just exposed some of my most private things on the deck, was cut off, and left alone like that. I proceeded to go on a bender of all benders. I never contacted my sponsor again, and oddly, he said hi at meetings and asked about getting together to finish my steps. I said I was good.

A month later, I tried another sponsor, who sat me down with 'his rules', when to call and check in, and that this was mandatory. Well, I politely declined.

That was it for sponsors, and that was it for the steps. But I DID keep going to meetings.

For me AA became so so so important as a place to go and listen, to hear others like me, and if nothing else to have a place to go instead of being left to myself alone knowing that drinking was always my go to option at that point. I might share here and there, but after my experience, I simply became a listener, and FOR ME, that was the Right AA for me. I used AA for MY sobriety. It became MY tool.

My way is not the right way, my experience should NOT prevent you from completing your step work, my experience should NOT prevent you from getting or trying a sponsor. Just realize that AA has no rules, simply guidelines set over time through trial and error to be a resource for people to stop drinking. It is not a fix. If it was, you would not hear about the people who are "Doing AA Correctly, but still relapse and can't find that spiritual awakening.

I am simply telling you my story. You will get maybe better advice from others here. My way is not the right way, nor will your experiences be like mine. We are all different. The main thing is to find in AA what works for you, and if what you are doing keeps you from drinking, then you found the miracle. Then it starts again the next day till you build a foundation little by little. It does take time. This is not a quick fix.

But you are doing Great!

I never got that 'rainbow and unicorns' spiritual awaking that I heard and hear about. I think that is a personal thing. I was not a religious person going into my sobriety 6 years ago (also when I started going to AA) but I found spirituality during my sobriety. It is unique to me is all I can say. What I do believe and you have probably heard, is that you can make your God anything you want. You don't even need a God. You just need to find what works for you, and there are many of avenues that AA provides you, which is a true blessing.

I heard at a meeting the other night, an old veteran saying that when he first started AA he had been going, and was so frustrated, he had not found the spiritual part, nor the miracle he had been hearing people talk about. Nor had he experienced the rainbow and unicorns. He thought he was '******* this up', particularly the part about not finding the miracle. His sponsor said "Well, did you drink today?" He said "No". His sponsor said, "Then you are a miracle and you have experienced the miracle, now quit trying to find it, you already found it". And that made sense to him. We all want something tangible to grab onto, to latch onto, to prove to us that we are okay, that things are right. But it is not always that way.

If you find a way to not drink when you otherwise would have, and you can do that for 24 hours, YOU ARE a miracle, and you might find a spiritual awakening in the fact that you have done 4 of the 12 steps, and that you have been in AA for 2 months, and that you have done this without having a 'solid sponsor', and you have been sober for the last hour, or the last 2 months, how ever long it is. Don't beat yourself up, take what you can get, give the meetings time. You are not on a schedule and there is no test to pass, just having the willingness to stop drinking is what AA asks for from you. And this you have proven that you have.