Old 02-19-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Hello Behappy1,

The "R" in AVRT stands for recognition, not removal, refutation, or running away. You are afraid of your Beast, which is just a false survival drive for alcohol. Do not engage in unnecessary dialogue and debating with the Beast, which, for comparison purposes, I doubt you do with your sex drive, a true survival drive.

The structural model of addiction shows us that the Beast has no direct means to get what it wants. It must appeal to us (via the AV) to convince us to give it what it wants. Just let the Beast bark AV, recognize it, and maintain the separation.

See this post from the multi-part AVRT discussion thread:

AV Chatter/Separation -

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
If you are having difficulty separating from the Beast, you can try to focus on it and objectify it completely. For example, you can say to yourself "IT feels deprived. I feel it struggle, but I am not struggling as I feel IT struggle. After everything IT put me through, I am very glad that IT struggles, suffers, and feels deprived. I don't drink, too bad for IT." You could even attribute all desire for a drink to the Beast and add "Since the desire to drink is not me, but the Beast, I don't even want to drink."

That relapse anxiety you mention ("not trusting yourself") is just your Addictive Voice -- the Beast barking nonsense. It will use your past 'failures' first as proof of your incompetence to abstain, and then as an argument for more drinking. It is no different from when the Beast says "go drink now."