View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sigh
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
How would you help?

I've been thinking, as I'm sure many of us have, of the people struggling to survive after the hurricane.

It's suggested that we give money to the Salvation Army and the Red Cross.

Is there something else we could do?

I found out that a firehouse close to me is taking donations of food and clothing. They have a huge tractor trailer they are going to drive down there. In one day it's already half way filled. They can't drive directly into New Orleans but they will stop at areas close where refugees are being taken and they will stop at the Salvation Army headquarters closer to the flooded areas.

I also heard on the news that there is some empty military housing close to me and that they are looking at it for possible housing for those displaced by this horrible storm. If that happens I know I could help, even if just in small ways like donations of blankets, water, diapers, etc.

I personally owe a great deal to the Salvation Army, at one point they took my son in and off the streets. I'll always be more generous when those Christmas bells ring. I did have one idea. We could give to our local Salvation Army. Why not buy a shirt, some socks, a teddy bear and drop it off or mail it to your local Salvation Army? They will sell it in their stores, which help people restart their lives and then that money will help others, those in recovery,. and those trying to survive this horrid flood.

That was my idea.
I'm interested and open to new ideas.
I'm sure there must be more we could do.
Does anyone have another idea on how to help?

thanks

sigh

"If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem"