How would you help?

Old 09-02-2005, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
How would you help?

I've been thinking, as I'm sure many of us have, of the people struggling to survive after the hurricane.

It's suggested that we give money to the Salvation Army and the Red Cross.

Is there something else we could do?

I found out that a firehouse close to me is taking donations of food and clothing. They have a huge tractor trailer they are going to drive down there. In one day it's already half way filled. They can't drive directly into New Orleans but they will stop at areas close where refugees are being taken and they will stop at the Salvation Army headquarters closer to the flooded areas.

I also heard on the news that there is some empty military housing close to me and that they are looking at it for possible housing for those displaced by this horrible storm. If that happens I know I could help, even if just in small ways like donations of blankets, water, diapers, etc.

I personally owe a great deal to the Salvation Army, at one point they took my son in and off the streets. I'll always be more generous when those Christmas bells ring. I did have one idea. We could give to our local Salvation Army. Why not buy a shirt, some socks, a teddy bear and drop it off or mail it to your local Salvation Army? They will sell it in their stores, which help people restart their lives and then that money will help others, those in recovery,. and those trying to survive this horrid flood.

That was my idea.
I'm interested and open to new ideas.
I'm sure there must be more we could do.
Does anyone have another idea on how to help?

thanks

sigh

"If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem"
Old 09-02-2005, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Sigh, I too owe an enormous debt of gratitude to the Salvation Army. More than once, they have taken my son into their program or into their hostels and helped him, without question and without judgement.

Like you, I remember them at Christmas and also take clothes and furniture there periodically as well, but you have moved me to contact them tomorrow and make a special donation in any way that may help the victims of this terrible storm.

It's such a little thing, for me to give them money, compared to what they do for so many so often.

Thank you for this reminder of what a wonderful organization the Salvation Army is.

Hugs
Ann
Old 09-02-2005, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thirty

I to suppport the Salvation Army. By Donating as well as buying in their stores. Got some really cool stuff there at times. My daughter loves to go shopping for clothing there. Says the stuff really fits her twisted personality. Good program all around.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thirty

Hey almost forgot, Don't forget to get out and donate blood and cash to the Red Cross. They always need it.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I was in a flood once and I lost all my possesions and the RED CROSS was right there helping all the ones who had been affected. It was wonderful the way they helped get people relocated,reclothed and furnished and fed. One of the grocery stores near my house do an even up the total thing and I always do that plus send a check at christmas time.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=69426