View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
Respectfully, I think this applies to the alcoholic who has not sought help or is currently drinking. Not the one who utilized all the tools at their fingertips. This, imo implies we are helpless no matter what we do which is simply not the case once we get sober.
Respectfully in reply, my experience is that until an alcoholic of my type has found an effective 24/7 defence against the first drink, the obsession can and does return.

The AA program is about permanent recovery which means staying stopped, not stopping for a spell. And the spell can be significant, sometimes ten years or more. I've seen it happen far too often.

If the insanity of the first drink returns, we are as helpless as the guy who never stopped. My friend Zac is a case in point. Drank after ten years. I thought all his AA experience would save him. I couldnt have been more wrong. He was dead in three months. Helpless and hopeless.

If we are sober today, certainly we have the opportunity to take whatever action is needed to remain that way. But if we don't take the action, if we delay or avoid, we can pay an awful price.