Old 02-11-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
darkling

Thank you all for your wise words!
I just want to add 2 stray thoughts.I'm in AA as well as Al-anon.

Not drinking does not equal sober.
If someone is not actually working a program, they're dry, not sober. I've known people who have been sober in AA for years, who appear to be working a solid program, they sponsor people, etc. But, they don't seem to have a problem with the fact they are still cheating on their spouse, still just not being present in their family's lives, etc, etc.. IMO, that is NOT sober. But these people also tend to be very personable and well-liked, so their "little indiscretions" are overlooked. [I want to smack people up alongside the head!] Just because a person seems to be always doing something program-related, does not mean they they have actually "got it." Some people have no business being a sponsor - IMO.

and FWIW, I just picked up my 25 year chip. [AA] I still go to 2 - 4 meetings a week. I don't want to be one of those who thinks they can just stop working on themselves after X amount of time. Also, I don't work, my "R"AH isn't here and all of my friends are recovering alcoholics/addicts!