Thread: Dry drunk
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by anyak313 View Post
I've only been sober for 22 days but I still get a similar feeling. I just wake up go to my classes, workout a little then repeat the next day. I feel like I'm white knuckling my way through life as opposed to enjoying it. I've tried AA before and really didn't like it. I'm 27 and whenever I went to meetings that were around me and fit with my schedule it was mostly all middle aged men. Couldn't really find a common ground with anyone. I definitely feel better physically, but mentally not so much. Sorry if I'm ranting here lol
Well if you can tolerate and survive another few years misery, you will be middleaged too, and you will fit right in.

But hang on, if these guys are already there and recovered, maybe some of them were less than middleaged when they began their journey. Maybe they were just like you?

Perhaps it is what you are listening for as well. It seemed to me that most older members had achieved some things in their lives before losing it all to booze. I had achieved nothing. Some of their stories about DUI,s and broken marriages, not to mention prison time were alien to me as well.

But when they talked about the loss of control and choice, the crippling fear, the despair at never being able to do anything right, boy did I relate to that. I was 22 when I had my last drink, and I am so grateful for the love and tolerance those old boys showed me when I came in. My story was different, but I had the same illness.