View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
theDipsomaniac

I believe that if you are really ready to get sober you will make the time. Recovery has to come before everything else, everything. I see people relapse all the time, over and over. Here on SR, in the rooms of AA, other forums, rehab patients etc many fail to get it. You are the only one who can choose to quit for good. It takes effort and determination. You must be ready, at your bottom as they say. If you're not prepared to give 110% don't even bother, keep digging and find your bottom or you will fail.

I was so ready I made 140+ meetings in 90 days, found a sponser in the second week, worked the steps hard and honestly for 6 months, did service work and prayed for the next right thing. Chaired meetings in my next 6 months and continue to do steps 10,11,12.

All this and started going to church, while working 50 hours a week. If you want it, you will find a way.

I was a 5th or more a night drinker for years who could not imagine life without alcohol.....

I am now 15 months sober, which is not long, but I'm in a great state of mind with no desire to drink. Yeah, I have passing thoughts and momentary triggers of people, places and things that make me think of drinking, but I now know how to deal with them. I know for me that first drink is what gets me drunk.

I now help my sponsor at one meeting a week, read and meditate daily and pray as needed.

AA may or may not be right for you, but I truly believe alcoholics helping other alcoholics to recover works. Psychiatrist and counselors don't understand, they've read and studied it but never lived it, so how could they. Like a combat veteran, nobody but another combat vet could possibly understand what that man has been through. For that reason don't sweat going to a meeting, everyone in that room has a least one thing in common, problems with alcohol. I have always felt like an outsider everywhere but in those rooms. You may be amazed how similar many of our stories are.

To quit is hard the first time, it's proven it gets harder with every quit, so get it right the first time. Give it all you got, like your life depends on it, because it does.