View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

My thought is you're making excellent progress. Once they get past the first couple of weeks of any physical dependency, some people get a little rest from the hard but infinitely rewarding work of getting good-n-sober. For me, it was like I was so stunned and beat-up, there was no room in me for stress.

Then -- maybe this is your case -- I got just better *enough* for my mind to start trying to mess me up. For me, those 'cravings' weren't at all like the physical need -- they were purely mental. They went on a long time but gradually got less frequent and much less powerful. At first they were very compelling.

I think maybe 95% of alcoholism is mental. I had to retrain my mind completely to find rewards and comforts in different things.

I'd ask you first, are you keeping company with other sober alcoholics? A group like AA can be great just to sit with to get ideas on how people live without drinking. Second, are there things you used to enjoy, before your drinking got bad, that you could get back into? Baby steps, of course. Don't sign up for a marathon tomorrow!

Good luck and keep facing forward!