View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Unwound View Post
I am hoping this is the last big round of this before it eases up and I can go back to living a normal life without feeling compelled to drink all the damn time.
The idea that we can just not drink and "live a normal life" is a dangerous one for many (most) of us alcoholics. Living a great life in sobriety is far more than simply not drinking, for me. My life looks almost nothing like it did before I quit almost a year ago - I do live in the same apt- and that's key to my success.

Hoping won't keep us sober. Many people experience cravings for a long time, or forever, and often when least expected....well into their sobriety. And life stress won't ever stop, simply change.

Six weeks is great! What is your plan for staying sober? Tools like HALT and distraction and such are useful for the immediate handling of cravings, but a bottom line program of sober action (such as AA, which is my chosen solution) is key. I can honestly say that my problem has been removed and I have had zero cravings in 339 days. I work my program very hard, every day, and I do take an anti-craving med (Campral/acamprosate) under my dr supervision. There are lots of tools out there for staying sober; you have to find and choose to use them.

Good luck.