Thread: Day 23
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Congrats on day 23. Yeah, early days and you probably will continue to feel better.

Drinking is off the table for me today. But that doesn't mean I'm cured, won't have thoughts or feelings around alcohol. I accept that that is what my brain does. But I don't have to act on them, connect to them or give them power. I can see them as 'I'd really like some french fries' while driving by a fast food place but I won't get any. I don't even have thoughts about 'wanting' a drink. I just have thoughts of alcohol now and again. Could be prompted by something on TV, something here, something in AA, something I'm feeling about the past, something I'm feeling physically (hunger for example). It just is.....as so many thoughts just are. I don't have to give them power. I tend to notice alcohol thoughts more (for obvious reasons) but if I'm mindful I notice all kinds of random thoughts that I don't act on.

I try to pray (that's a discipline for me....still practicing) go to meetings, meet with my sponsor. If I stay physically well and spiritually 'fit' the thoughts are very infrequent.