View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NYCDoglvr

This is where untreated addiction leads

Just learned that my sister-in-law's brother died of alcoholism at the age of 40. He lived in an abandoned trailer in a crappy town in south Texas, penniless and alone. About 15 years ago he told his mother and sister he wanted no contact with them ever again, they didn't even know he lived in Texas. A neighbor found their address and contacted them. He left two dogs and my brother contacted a local shelter that found them a good home. His mother had resigned herself to his fate, said she didn't want to pay for him to be buried in Texas so his ashes will be shipped to my brother.

I met Charley about 20 years ago when he came north for his sister's wedding. Even though he wasn't drinking I knew he was an alcoholic a few minutes after meeting him based on his attitudes. In October I celebrated 25 years of sobriety but this shakes me to the core. No one knows why some people can stop drinking and it could very easily be me.

If you have even a few days, hang on for dear life. Go to any lengths necessary to stay sober. I know so many similar stories.