View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
BlueAero

Thanks Heartcore. I have decided to consult my doctor for help before I just suddenly go cold turkey against both addictions. I researched some other websites about handling withdrawal with dual-addictions and a lot of people have warned me about hidden dangers in taking a sudden-stop approach to both alcohol and opioid addiction. As I stated, I had bad withdrawal symptoms the last time I just up and quit so, especially being semi-elderly, I certainly don't want to take any reckless risks. I have a doctor who handles my pain management and wellness that is very approachable and mindful of individual needs so I think I might ask him for advice. I see him again in a couple of weeks so that might be a good time to bring up the subject and see what he recommends as a good way to go after my addictions.

That said, I did not abstain from drinking or taking my Vikes while my relatives were in town this past weekend. However, I did scale back my consumption quite a bit (only 3 beers and 2 Vikes yesterday) while my brother-in-law basically got blitzed during the Packers/Cowboys tilt (what a great game!). I am not giving up at all on my goal. I want to and definitely need to quit. However, I want to go about it in a manner that will maximize my chances of success and minimize any unpleasant withdrawal struggles that are bound to be a part of the equation. Again, it may sound like a cop-out and a delay tactic but I want to succeed, not just go through hell, cave in when I start Jonesing and then say "well, at least I tried". I want to be one of those of us who can boast that I am x-days sober and counting on my road to recovery. Thanks again to all for the advice and reinforcement. It really means a lot to me!!!