View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I found the same. After a while in sobriety I realised that quite possibly I was just learning a nd getting comfortable with who I really was and what I really like. Many of the people I hung out with are quite shallow. It suited me well when I was drinking because, quite frankly, I was even more shallow than most of them. Now though I find the conversation in those old friendship groups boring. Sometimes depressing. Sometimes even offensive. And maybe they find me boring now as well. Possibly a little uncool and distant as well. Whatever.

As time has progressed I have developed a new beat for my own drum, and focus on walking to that beat. I have formed new friendships, and still occasionally see old friends, but also increasingly value having time alone now - which would have been painful and very undesirable before - and I know that I do need that reflective time.

Sometimes people will pass a comment about the change, but I know that I don't owe it to anyone to be anyone other than I am now. I will be true to myself, and I they don't like that, well, maybe they're not such great friends.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB