View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
BrickbyBrick83

Nope, I am now definitely aware that I have a problem with drinking, and will continue the family "tradition," if I don't keep away from it (I'm 9 days sober today, by the way).

And yes, I was interested in whether meetings are necessary for long-term success. I guess because that's the route my dad took, and he talks about AA a lot. I've always had the message from him that you have to go to meetings if you drink, otherwise you will relapse.

I stopped drinking the first time as I ended up wasted after a work conference, and ended up having to wrestle a guy that I'd shared a taxi with off the top of me. Thank goodness I still had the ability to do that. That's all I remember of the night! It frightened me enough to stop me drinking, but I don't think I fully accepted that it happened b/c I have a problem with alcohol. If that makes sense? My hubby and I were also living with my dad for two of the five years, and had zero money for most of the entire five years. Both things that were drinking barriers. If they hadn't been there (spare cash, living somewhere else), I'd have probably started drinking earlier.

I feel like I've turned a corner now. I told my husband that I have a problem about an hour ago, and can't drink again. And I told him why. That's a big step for me. I've put it off and put it off, as I knew it would signify the end of my drinking. He said that he has worried about it for ages, but didn't know what to do.

I don't know much about AV - I don't even know what it stands for (possibly alcoholic's voice??) so will have to do some reading!