View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 09:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Yeah. People can be so irritating cant they.

Never mind though. Acceptance stand us in good stead. After all, we're learning to deal with life (people and events) on life's terms now.

Funny thing is, usually, once I've worked through my resentments I quickly find that I've forgotten what they specifically did or said that annoyed we in the first place. If you work your program (after all, you probably went to AA to fix yourself, not to fix everyone else) you'll be completely free of this in a year.

Grant me the serenity to accept the people I can't change (everyone else, whether I like it or not). The courage to change the person I can (me). And the wisdom to know the difference.

I read a nice quote yesterday that said, wisdom is the 'art of steering through battles and blessings of life, and living skilfully in whatever conditions you find yourself'. It is 'choosing to do now what you will be happy with later on.'

Besides, sometimes we learn from the good things people do, and we aspire to be like them. BUT, other times we can learn from the not so good that people do, especially if they are effectively being like one of those horrible magnifying shaving mirrors to our own character defects. The good that comes from that is often a painful one, but it's still good if we choose to focus on the person we can change, and not get distracted by planning the demise of those we can't .

I have always found other people infuriating, but honestly, the serenity prayer, resentment prayers, and working the program (so it's my own inventory I'm taking, and my own side of the street clean I'm keeping clean) really has relieved much of my old daily frustration with folk. Sure, people still irritate me at times (esp if I'm Hungry-Angry-Lonely-Tired) but I just do what my sponsor suggested. Serenity prayer. Resentment prayer. Gratitude. Help someone else. Hasn't failed yet (disclaimer : some miracles happen in slow motion).

Hoping you find some serenity and fellowship at your meetings.
BB