View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
shortstop81
G-Woman

Originally Posted by AlcoholicJak View Post
This touches close to home for me. When you say "all bets are off" that is exactly how I am with alcohol.

I've ruined some great relationships in my life due to alcohol. Heck, the girl of my dreams walked out on me because I said some horrible things I could never take back while I was drunk. I've made some pretty dumb mistakes in my life and they all can be rooted to me getting blitzed. I would like to quit but on my own terms. I don't want to reach out to a program because I feel I can control my own life. What led to your own success?
From one Scandinavian to another.

To be honest, I wanted to quit on my own terms too. I always made some initial half-assed attempts at going to support groups, but usually drifted off on my own. That stubborness resulted in about 10 years of trying quit drinking with limited success. It was soul-sucking, to say the least to be stuck in that cycle.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but for me it didn't start to stick until I changed it up and actually committed to a recovery group (AA). I also spend time here at SR every day and read books and listen to podcasts about recovery. It may sound excessive, but right now it's keeping me sober in early recovery and it's a helluva lot better than being drunk and/or hungover.

I need the support system. I need the accountability. I find comfort in these things, even though I fought like hell against them for years.

Glad you're here and that you're asking questions. Best wishes!