View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
August252015

I believe in the maxim "we do not forget the past, nor shut the door on it."

HOWEVER. I focus on how brilliant my life is sober. It is real- it is full- it is just....everything better than anything I had when drinking.

I do not dwell in the past or have a pugilistic or punitive mind about what happened. When memories come up- and they do- I put them back in their compartment, after talking to my sponsor or (in recovery) boyfriend or such, and dealing with what they might connect to in the present. That is plenty of "heeding the past for me." Writing everything down or making reminders to pull out later- no way. That's what step 4 was for. This is just how it works for me- I find that focusing on hope, frequent prayer, thinking of others and what I can do for them (BB paraphrase) and working my program is where my energy is best spent. Sometimes the emotions and regret and pain have (and I am sure will) hit, and I have to feel them and get through them. They then belong in the past, mentally. Ongoing amends is my focus; ruing the day, so to speak, is counter-productive.

The simple thought of losing everything I have worked for and am blessed to have now is enough for me to keep in mind- as I work daily to stay in fit spiritual condition.