Old 01-03-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Blankspace87 View Post
I'm making a plan...because of who I am as a person and my insecurities (I care a lot about what others think) my biggest problem is how to explain to others why I continue my sobriety post Dry January. Like the guy who mentioned Lent, it's given me a chance to do what I have needed to do for a long time. I just don't know how to 'come out' without being judged.
Actually you'll be happy to know that you don't need to explain it to anyone really, and for the most part no one will even notice or care whether you are drinking or not. Alcoholics are the only ones that obsess about it, to most people the fact that you are drinking alcohol ( or not ) is no more important than the color of the shirt you are wearing or what you had for breakfast - it's simply not an issue.

Granted, your drinking buddies will notice, but for the most part you will need to make some changes in crowds you hang out with. Trying to live the life of a drunk without the drink is very unsatisifying and pretty annoying to be honest. Being around drunk people when you are sober is not much fun. And at the end of the day, your true friends will support your decision.