View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
advbike

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Many of the character flaws that lead us to act out in certain ways won't disappear over night, drunk or sober, so it's not always easy to do (or even know) the next right thing. This is when I was always so grateful for a having a sponsor to guide me through this stuff.
This is so true.. I continue to struggle with guilt, shame, a general sense of dissatisfaction, and with relationships, even after 3 years sober. Being an ACOA, sobriety was just the very beginning of what I'm sure will be a long process. Even sober, my ego is hard at work - telling me stories, creating anxiety, guilt, sensitivity to criticism, fear of confrontation, etc. Of course, I am human, but when I drank I just didn't have to deal with the emotions.

Once I was sober, the first year was a roller coaster of emotions and some really bad decisions, then I began to see all the dysfunction. It's been a long, slow process, with therapy, AA step work, reading, etc.. but at least now I can recognize the thinking and behavior patterns, and self correct. But I still get stuck in my head sometimes, and I still make mistakes. Ultimately I have to just be grateful, accept life as it is, and accept that I'm doing the best I can.