Thread: Naltrexone
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
August252015

I took Naltrexone back when I was given it and planned to just keep drinking. No point in having taken it - didn't see it dampen my desire because my mind alone wanted to drink just like I had been, whatever my body might have wanted.

Since I quit drinking 310 days ago, I have been on a well-supervised drug regimen. The underlying premise for all of it is that I do not drink. That said, I started on Campral and have experienced no cravings. At all. I will continue to take it as long as my excellent psych- with whom I was completely honest about finally wanting to quit and now about how I feel physically and emotionally so she can best help me- says I need to, even if that's forever.

I also took Antabuse for the first 90 days of my sobriety. As I have shared elsewhere, this is a serious drug you shouldn't take unless you really quit drinking. Skipping doses, playing around with it by only taking it when you think you might drink or not taking it a few days before you want to - any games- can have serious and even deadly consequences. Again, this drug worked perfectly for me because it became automatic to take it; since I had misused it in the past like I just described, this time my dr had me keep a sheaf of papers with me and every day, I signed, dated and timed taking it and had a witness do the same. THAT was my level of commitment.

I take other drugs related to anxiety and such but those are the ones specifically related to alcohol consumption/craving that I can share experience with for you.

Bottom line: you have to decide to quit drinking or not, if you are indeed an alcoholic. Moderation doesn't work for us. If you are an alcoholic and keep drinking, you are wasting drs time, your money, and possibly hurting yourself (further) by taking these meds.

Last note- plenty of other meds are impacted by drinking, so if you do what I did and take psych meds meant to really help you and drink, you're also doing yourself a big disservice at a minimum.

Good luck.