Notices

Naltrexone

Old 12-28-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone

Hello,

I'm on day 7 (ugh). I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Naltrexone. I've done a lot of reading, and it appears this drug helps to moderate one's drinking. I googled my way to this drug accidentally because I recall when I was on chantix years ago that I had less of an urge to drink. Multiple studies say that chantix has the same effect as naltrexone. In my perfect world, then, I guess I wish I could live on one or the other and be a moderate drinker. Or, I wonder if I could at least go on it to make the process of becoming an ex-drinker easier. Has anyone tried Naltrexone? If so, can a primary physician prescribe this?
Old 12-28-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Moderation is not possible for an alcoholic, and there is no pill that can allow you to return to moderation unfortunately.

Naltrexone is sometimes subscribed to reduce cravings in those trying to quit, but it's to be used in conjunction with a sobriety plan, just like all other similar drugs. It's not a sobriety plan in itself.

And yes, it is a prescription drug so any physician can prescribe it. That is your best bet ( seeing a doctor ) to evaluate your need for said drugs.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Good for you on making it a week sober! I have used Naltrexone but didn't notice any benefits from it. It was prescribed by my physician. I will say, from my observation, most people here are geared toward total abstinence, so you're not likely to find anyone who will entertain any notions of moderation. Most of us have tried and failed numerous times at achieving that "perfect world" you mentioned, and have come to the conclusion that it is nothing but an illusion. That said, stick around here. There are a variety of ways to maintain sobriety if that is what you're seeking. Since you're here, I assume you are open to it.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have recently been prescribed Naltrexone! I have been taking it for a few days, and have DEFINITELY felt a reduced craving! As in. no craving at all.
It also reduces hunger though, so you could go the whole day without eating, which in our situation is dangerous. Ive had to set a couple of alarms to remind me to make some food.
It also makes me very very tired, although that could also be the whole recovering aspect of the journey!
Please keep us updated! Id love to have a naltrexone buddy to compare notes with!
:-)
LG
Old 12-28-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Naltrexone didn't really work for me, but I've had great progress with Campral.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KAD View Post
Good for you on making it a week sober! I have used Naltrexone but didn't notice any benefits from it. It was prescribed by my physician. I will say, from my observation, most people here are geared toward total abstinence, so you're not likely to find anyone who will entertain any notions of moderation. Most of us have tried and failed numerous times at achieving that "perfect world" you mentioned, and have come to the conclusion that it is nothing but an illusion. That said, stick around here. There are a variety of ways to maintain sobriety if that is what you're seeking. Since you're here, I assume you are open to it.
Thanks for the thoughts!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Moderation is not possible for an alcoholic, and there is no pill that can allow you to return to moderation unfortunately.

Naltrexone is sometimes subscribed to reduce cravings in those trying to quit, but it's to be used in conjunction with a sobriety plan, just like all other similar drugs. It's not a sobriety plan in itself.

And yes, it is a prescription drug so any physician can prescribe it. That is your best bet ( seeing a doctor ) to evaluate your need for said drugs.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shortstop81 View Post
Naltrexone didn't really work for me, but I've had great progress with Campral.
Thank you for this suggestion.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LimeGreen View Post
I have recently been prescribed Naltrexone! I have been taking it for a few days, and have DEFINITELY felt a reduced craving! As in. no craving at all.
It also reduces hunger though, so you could go the whole day without eating, which in our situation is dangerous. Ive had to set a couple of alarms to remind me to make some food.
It also makes me very very tired, although that could also be the whole recovering aspect of the journey!
Please keep us updated! Id love to have a naltrexone buddy to compare notes with!
:-)
LG
Wow. Craving just gone? I'm so jealous. This must be a huge relief for you, although I know quitting has a lot more to it. Good for you!!! I'll let you know if I go on it. I'm willing to try anything!
Old 12-29-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think that is many alcoholics dream to be able to have their cake and eat it too with moderation, but that simply isn't possible.
I haven't tried Naltrexone personally, but many have posted everything from it does nothing, to it's a miracle cure for their alcoholism.
If you feel it will help, you can absolutely talk to your doctor about it.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The only thing it did for me Trying was to allow greater consumption. Thought I was on a winner. I was an outrage later than sooner. The mirage crumbled.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I took Naltrexone and it helped a lot with the cravings at the beginning. After a while it seemed to lose it's effect, so I stopped taking it. I still have some and my doctor will prescribe it to me again if I want it, and I might try it again because it was really helpful at the beginning. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I took Naltrexone back when I was given it and planned to just keep drinking. No point in having taken it - didn't see it dampen my desire because my mind alone wanted to drink just like I had been, whatever my body might have wanted.

Since I quit drinking 310 days ago, I have been on a well-supervised drug regimen. The underlying premise for all of it is that I do not drink. That said, I started on Campral and have experienced no cravings. At all. I will continue to take it as long as my excellent psych- with whom I was completely honest about finally wanting to quit and now about how I feel physically and emotionally so she can best help me- says I need to, even if that's forever.

I also took Antabuse for the first 90 days of my sobriety. As I have shared elsewhere, this is a serious drug you shouldn't take unless you really quit drinking. Skipping doses, playing around with it by only taking it when you think you might drink or not taking it a few days before you want to - any games- can have serious and even deadly consequences. Again, this drug worked perfectly for me because it became automatic to take it; since I had misused it in the past like I just described, this time my dr had me keep a sheaf of papers with me and every day, I signed, dated and timed taking it and had a witness do the same. THAT was my level of commitment.

I take other drugs related to anxiety and such but those are the ones specifically related to alcohol consumption/craving that I can share experience with for you.

Bottom line: you have to decide to quit drinking or not, if you are indeed an alcoholic. Moderation doesn't work for us. If you are an alcoholic and keep drinking, you are wasting drs time, your money, and possibly hurting yourself (further) by taking these meds.

Last note- plenty of other meds are impacted by drinking, so if you do what I did and take psych meds meant to really help you and drink, you're also doing yourself a big disservice at a minimum.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I took it. Still drank. It did not work for me. Personally I have not seen naltrexone, vivitrol, antabuse etc. work for anyone I know. That has just been my experience.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I took it. Still drank. It did not work for me. Personally I have not seen naltrexone, vivitrol, antabuse etc. work for anyone I know. That has just been my experience.
I would describe my drugs as just SOME tools for my sobriety. They don't cause it or maintain it, they just support it and my choice to work a really hard program. No drug in the world is going to "cure" us, and certain drugs can help (I believe) when the underlying decision is to get and stay sober. I'm a big believer in using the right drugs when needed (as my autopsy per L&O episode routine would show, ha) and I have seen great results.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I would describe my drugs as just SOME tools for my sobriety. They don't cause it or maintain it, they just support it and my choice to work a really hard program. No drug in the world is going to "cure" us, and certain drugs can help (I believe) when the underlying decision is to get and stay sober. I'm a big believer in using the right drugs when needed (as my autopsy per L&O episode routine would show, ha) and I have seen great results.
Thanks for the thoughts!
Old 12-31-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go it alone without the naltronex for now since so far I'm hanging in. I haven't drank now in 10 days and I've gone on fluoxetine/Prozac for anxiety. Feeling good. I'm so happy to start out 2017 sober...I look forward to being back here next year and being hopefully one year free...wouldn't that be just amazing. Thank you everyone for all of your advice on this thread and others!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Abstinence is so much easier than moderation for this alcoholic!! Wishing you the best!!
Old 12-31-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

...naltrexone, vivitrol they both did nothing for me. But I also didn't take either for more than a month. Maybe I needed to take it longer.