View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 12:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
tootsl1
Living and Loving Life at Last

Babs I'm not going anywhere. I tend to post more when it's quiet here because I hate the thought of this thread disappearing. It had an important place here on SR. Other times I read daily but only post if I think someone will benefit from my dubious wisdom.
I'm so glad you were able to be totally present for your mil when she was ill, and that you found yourself appreciating your sobriety rather than potentially resenting it over the holidays! Huge move forward in your sober living there sweetie. X

Kopfan, funny how alcohol was the be all and end all for us. I totally expected everyone to notice and comment on my sobriety. Most never said a word. Bit of an anti climax at times! But hey,myou have your first Christmas sober under your belt.

You too NMD, and I hope your wife progresses to getting help. Dealing with our drinking, Seeking sobriety, is a very personal thing. It took me 10 years of growing awareness to acknowledge that my consumption was not greed or boredom, it was a problem I needed to stop avoiding and confront. It was the scariest time in my life, as I'm sure it was for many here. A lot just can't deal with that.
I agree with Glee, there is a lot of wisdom to be found in the Friends and Family threads here. Even for us as drinkers, it is important to see the other side and truly understand the hurt and confusion suffered by those around us. It can help us to understand why they might resent us even in our sobriety. Why our milestones only seem to rub it in, and why sometimes we might have done too little too late.
It also reminds us that it's not just us that we are fighting to maintain our sobriety for.