View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gilmer

That's a whole lot, Glee.

We compete with ourselves to match that classic image of the cute matching outfits, the perfectly appointed home, an abundance of attractively wrapped presents, and of course a cornucopia of diverse and delicious Christmas cookies (that would be "biscuits" to you, Dee ).

It's nice for those with the time and skill set for that. I do know some who have it. I don't.

The old me used to snark when there was something nice I couldn't achieve.

Not now.

My daughter loves to decorate for Christmas. She does her place the weekend after Thanksgiving; a couple weeks later she comes and does my house, just for the joy of it!

I've always felt the pressure to bake a "festive assortment" of Christmas cookies. This year I'm not going to do much, because my kids are all adults now, and 4 out of the 7 people in the household are watching what they eat (and I should be!).

So maybe I'll ask the 2 others what sort of cookies they'd like, and make one batch to feed them and the grandkids.

It makes me feel like I'm really dropping the ball--but there's no value in knocking myself out to maintain some arbitrary standard when the overwhelming majority of people has absolutely no interest in it!

Times change, and we're doing the things that are most important.

We shouldn't let ourselves be cowed by a Norman Rockwell ideal.