View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post
My mother wanted to give us money. I accepted and put it in a separate savings account. Now that she is older if she needs something we can use that money. Or use it for funeral expenses. She was happy giving us the money and I am reassured she has some money.
Great idea!

I just talked with my ex, he is actually relieved they are doing it, as he thought he was going to have to help with my older son's tuition. I told him, I don't think there's anything wrong with our son having to take a loan to help pay for school. It won't be a crushing, huge loan like some young people have, but it's not so terrible to have some skin in the game when it comes to one's own education. We actually paid for at least a couple of semesters of this son's education when he decided to blow things off and not go to class. So his whole education WOULD have been paid for, but he pretty much squandered the chance, so I don't feel compelled to rescue him. His dad looks at it differently, but at this point it's between them. He's much more prone to "helping" financially than I am.