View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DesertDawg

Originally Posted by Mester View Post
So, one thing I've searched and have not been able to find. Alcohol withdrawal. Studies say 6-12 hours after last drink. Is the 6-12 because your BAC is down to zero or is it because of your last drink? Say I went 12 hours, then had one standard 1.5 oz drink. Does it start the the withdrawal all over again from zero? Or is it just a hiccup in recovery?

I need things to occupy my mind and educating myself is the best way
Don't know if this answers your question, and I hope this is not construed as medical advice, which I am not qualified to offer, but as I understand it, withdrawal is basically your central nervous system being in overdrive as it comes out of being suppressed by alcohol for a protracted period. It has had to work harder just to function at all under the onslaught of all that alcohol (a central nervous system suppressant), so when the alcohol is taken away, it is still in overdrive because it has adapted to the alcoholic environment. We perceive that change as feeling horrible without alcohol, and only feeling "normal" when alcohol is added back into the equation, OR, when the brain has had time to adapt to the lack of alcohol. Whenever alcohol is added back, it prolongs that transition period. My own experience is that both times I had seizures, they occurred roughly 24 hours after my last drink, in a timeframe when I was beginning to feel a bit normal again (i.e. when I thought I was out of the danger zone.)