Notices

Occupying my mind

Old 12-20-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Occupying my mind

So, one thing I've searched and have not been able to find. Alcohol withdrawal. Studies say 6-12 hours after last drink. Is the 6-12 because your BAC is down to zero or is it because of your last drink? Say I went 12 hours, then had one standard 1.5 oz drink. Does it start the the withdrawal all over again from zero? Or is it just a hiccup in recovery?

I need things to occupy my mind and educating myself is the best way
Old 12-20-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, I don't know much about alcohol withdrawal, I just wanted to wish you luck in your detox.

Have you talked with a doctor? If you were drinking enough to cause withdrawls, it's really the safest route.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My doctor knows all. I'm on a detox plan. I just want to further educate myself. I'm funny like that. The more you know
Old 12-20-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im always looking up info online about alcohol. I like my mind occupied, too. I bet youd search long time to find exact answer. good question tho. a professional no doubt could answer u in a second i bet.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yesterday i was looking up effects of alcohol on the brain. hope U find the answer!
Old 12-20-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh that's great that you have a doctor on board with you. I agree that you should educate yourself as much as possible, you'll find alot of people here with experience.

I'm so glad you've decided to get sober. I'm an alcoholic also, but my most recent addiction is a three year run with opiates. I've been clean just over a month, and I know that you will find so much freedom in sobriety. Kelp hanging in there!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Mester View Post
Say I went 12 hours, then had one standard 1.5 oz drink. Does it start the the withdrawal all over again from zero? Or is it just a hiccup in recovery?
Drinking is not recovery.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Drinking is not recovery.
Thanks. I KNOW THAT!!! Just trying to figure out my story. Before I checked myself into the hospital, I drank.

I'm trying to educate myself. It's what I like to do. ER doctor just gives you some meds and releases you. I want to better understand my addiction
Old 12-20-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mester

I don't know the answer to your question but I hope you can see why Carl was concerned?

Say I went 12 hours, then had one standard 1.5 oz drink.
Yeah I know it's theoretical - but on another level it's not.

Tell your AV to shut up.
You're a non drinker.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So, one thing I've searched and have not been able to find. Alcohol withdrawal. Studies say 6-12 hours after last drink. Is the 6-12 because your BAC is down to zero or is it because of your last drink? Say I went 12 hours, then had one standard 1.5 oz drink. Does it start the the withdrawal all over again from zero? Or is it just a hiccup in recovery?

I need things to occupy my mind and educating myself is the best way
Don't know if this answers your question, and I hope this is not construed as medical advice, which I am not qualified to offer, but as I understand it, withdrawal is basically your central nervous system being in overdrive as it comes out of being suppressed by alcohol for a protracted period. It has had to work harder just to function at all under the onslaught of all that alcohol (a central nervous system suppressant), so when the alcohol is taken away, it is still in overdrive because it has adapted to the alcoholic environment. We perceive that change as feeling horrible without alcohol, and only feeling "normal" when alcohol is added back into the equation, OR, when the brain has had time to adapt to the lack of alcohol. Whenever alcohol is added back, it prolongs that transition period. My own experience is that both times I had seizures, they occurred roughly 24 hours after my last drink, in a timeframe when I was beginning to feel a bit normal again (i.e. when I thought I was out of the danger zone.)
Old 12-20-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/harvardsciencereview.com/2014/01/23/the-science-of-alcohol-addiction/amp/

This gets a bit deep into the science of drinking. There were more dense articles I found, but this one is still a bit thick.

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/drug-detox/alcohol/withdrawal-timeline/

This one talks a bit about the timeline of withdrawals. Personally, I seem to be over the worst physical symptoms after day 3 (72 hours or so) after drinking.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Mester,

I found thinking about how long it had been since I had last had a drink was making me crazy. I really tried to flip my mindset to recovery. I focused on planning healthy actities each evening, did lots of reading, exercise, outings with the kids, and worked on mindfulness.

I have found it has gotten easier over time, but I am still focusing on how to make me a better me. This year I want to get my knees stronger again after surgery, and also learn to say no more often. I am guilty of taking on too much, and this year I am stepping back a little and re-evaluating the purpose, and whether it will take too much time away from my family time.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Mester

I don't know the answer to your question but I hope you can see why Carl was concerned?
Yeah I know it's theoretical - but on another level it's not.

Tell your AV to shut up.
You're a non drinker.
I was dry for a couple of days and couldn't take the withdrawals anymore. I had yet to go see a Dr., so I drank. Just enough to get over feeling what I was feeling. I know drinking is not recovery. What I was asking, because I just need **** to read, was because I was dry for 2 days, would the drink I had, restart the withdrawal process back down to zero, or would it be a hiccup in my recovery?

I'm just going to keep googling. I have yet to find the answer to my question.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ok, well - I still don't know the answer.

Technically, maybe.?

For non scientists, and all intents and purposes, mostly likely not a noticeable difference ?

How long ago was the drink, Mester?

If we're talking days I wouldn't worry about it outside of the intellectual exercise you've committed yourself to

D
Old 12-21-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Does it start the the withdrawal all over again from zero? Or is it just a hiccup in recovery?
I think that if you are in heavy withdrawal, and you drink some alcohol to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms, then yes, to a degree the withdrawals will start again when the alcohol you just drank begins to wear off. As to whether you go back to ground zero, I think it depends on how much you drank. There is the concept of tapering, where you wean yourself off of the alcohol by drinking smaller and smaller amounts of booze to "manage" the withdrawal symptoms, to the point where you eventually don't need any. But I don't think anyone here would recommend that approach, especially without medical supervision.

With all that said, these things vary from person to person, and there are so many variables, that there is not a blanket answer that will apply to everyone.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm just going to keep googling. I have yet to find the answer to my question.
While you are researching withdrawals, look up kindling, which is caused by the repeated cycle of acute intoxication followed by an acute abstinence withdrawal state.