View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

I did an in hospital medical detox September 21, 2010. 7 days and I also started on nicotine patches since you cannot smoke in the hospital. When I checked myself into the VA it was a detox and follow on 28 day rehab. I was smoking three packs a day back then. I had retired and was drinking like a Saturday every day, starting at noon and stopping at around 12 midnight. I was never stagger drunk as I only drank 2 beers and hour as a beverage. THat was just keeping the buzz at first. 2 beers and hour times 12 hours is a case of beer a day. The yeasty mouth from that much beer daily I cut with some glasses of box wine, and/or several scotch water and lime, to cut the yeasty taste. A unit of alcohol is one six ounce glass of wine, one shot of liquor, or one 12 oz. beer. So when I quit I was addicted from upping the hourly intake to keep a gentle buzz to three an hour. Then one morning I woke up shaking and could not stop or hold my coffee. I realized I had gotten myself dependent on it so tried taking a few shots of scotch in my coffees. Worked like a champ except now I was drinking from rising to bedtime.

The medical detox is the way to go if you can. Much safer and so much less painful. I did not need the rehab as I have a nice home in the countryside. Never even craved or wanted either smokes or alcohol again. Never will. MY wife still drinks and smokes and her half gallon of scotch and carton of smokes was here with me every day alone while she was at work. NO temptation, and my quitting was no reason to force her.

Do it if you can. And great good luck to you!