View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by terall View Post
I understand what you are saying Frickaflip, but if you go "deeper" than the reasons you give yourself why you drank, would you not say, you drank because you looked forward to the pleasure alcohol gave you?
I think we all have multiple reasons why we drank terall. We are all different and certainly the initial pleasure alcohol gave us is a factor.

For example, at the end of my drinking career I drank simply to keep from withdrawing and to keep my heart rate below 100. I got no pleasure at all from drinking - quite the opposite. I can vividly remember forcing the first beer of the day down my throat and almost immediately vomiting it back up. At some point I'd be able to get a few sips down and get my BAC back up to it's acceptable maintenance level. But in no way shape or form was I getting any pleasure from drinking at all - I was drinking simply because I had do. I really didn't want to but I did anyway because I would have ended up in the hospital if didn't. And that's exactly where I ended up the last time I did quit.