Old 12-12-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Flossyteacake

I was a bottle to a bottle and a half of wine about four days a week kind of drinker. I held down a good job, ran a home and family. But alcohol was a constant millstone. I remember my first post on SR being along the lines of my being sick and tired of always being sick and tired.

So I read here. A lot. At least twice a day - first and last thing (a habit I maintain now, 7 months in). I went to bed early - I slept, I read books, I ate too much chocolate and ice cream. I joined the May 2016 class; I connected with other people at the same stage as me. I appreciated their support and enjoyed feeling helpful in being able to support them. I reached out to this community when I found things hard - I asked for words of wisdom and I listened to the answers I was given. I made small changes in my routine, which have supported my recovery - yoga, meditation, reading, physical activity. Above all, I've committed to change. There are times I've wanted to rebel against that commitment, when I've questioned why me, why can't I be normal. I've been reassured that's par for the course and that I'm where I'm meant to be at this point in time in my recovery. I've never felt alone in this journey. And all that's meant I'm grateful - for SR and for having a chance to change the direction of my life's course.

Life is better now that alcohol doesn't run the show. I run my life. And it turns out I'm a much better, stronger person than I ever gave myself credit for being. And I think we all have that in us.