Old 12-12-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SnazzyDresser
sober style

The last thing I ever thought I would do is quit drinking and start posting on a site like this. Learning from popular culture, I pictured sobriety as morose losers swapping sob stories in church basements. Then in February I was not enjoying drinking as much, also having some health problems, nothing dramatic just feeling unwell. I started thinking how much time, energy and money I was devoting to basically feel lousy 24/7, and the perversity of that got me started.

A 75 day sober streak ensued, all on my own. No grand design or anything, not really planning to quit forever. But I liked how good I started to feel. Then the Spurs got knocked out of the playoffs and I got drunk on a whim, gonna only be 1 night off. That turned into a month of despair and craziness where I was desperate to get back to feeling good again but couldn't seem to get there. Maddening. So I knew I had to do something different to get back this good thing, sobriety, I'd stumbled on earlier.

Joined SR. Saw people with years of sobriety, people who had the better life I wanted. They weren't loser schlubs, they were awesome. So I listened to what they said, spoke my piece when I had a mind to, logged onto this site every day to keep my head right, and now I have 6 months sober. Guests and new people, this isn't magic. Not drinking every day is a skill that's attainable to all, and that includes you. Give it a try and see.