View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
pokerplaya

Just finishing my 2nd day sober

Been drinking pretty heavily for last 15 years, what most would call a functioning alcoholic, but not nearly up to my potential. Recently had my 1st child, she's now 5 months....
Once she was born I fully intended to start living a healthy, sober lifestyle. I also started working from home w/ very little structure and in fact steadily increased my intake, furtively drinking behind my wife's back, up to about a pint of vodka/day, never to be "caught". I finally decided enough was enough, the guilt was killing me being a new dad and all, but was worried bout withdrawal (heard nitemares like seizures, etc). Found a doctor that specializes in addiction. Got put on klonopin (1.5 mg/day, to be tapered - any info on klonopin would be helpful, also have advan in case of emergency - bad anxiety, sweats, shaking, etc) yesterday, and enrolled in early recovery group starting in 2 days (twice a week); gonna try to do w/o AA...

So far so good, no withdrawal sypmtoms so far, very nervous about the whole group situation...

1 troubling thing that caused me to take 1/2 advan this morning was a pain in my midsection, just below my ribs (and well below my heart). But truth is i have had this recurring pain for last 6 months or so, not sure if that's my liver crying or what (anyone else have it - well above my belly button just below my ribs). No major cravings (courtesy klonopin i'm sure), just a little irritable.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experiences, curious about your impressions of my course of action/stragety....

Many thanks.