Notices

Just finishing my 2nd day sober

Old 08-23-2005, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just finishing my 2nd day sober

Been drinking pretty heavily for last 15 years, what most would call a functioning alcoholic, but not nearly up to my potential. Recently had my 1st child, she's now 5 months....
Once she was born I fully intended to start living a healthy, sober lifestyle. I also started working from home w/ very little structure and in fact steadily increased my intake, furtively drinking behind my wife's back, up to about a pint of vodka/day, never to be "caught". I finally decided enough was enough, the guilt was killing me being a new dad and all, but was worried bout withdrawal (heard nitemares like seizures, etc). Found a doctor that specializes in addiction. Got put on klonopin (1.5 mg/day, to be tapered - any info on klonopin would be helpful, also have advan in case of emergency - bad anxiety, sweats, shaking, etc) yesterday, and enrolled in early recovery group starting in 2 days (twice a week); gonna try to do w/o AA...

So far so good, no withdrawal sypmtoms so far, very nervous about the whole group situation...

1 troubling thing that caused me to take 1/2 advan this morning was a pain in my midsection, just below my ribs (and well below my heart). But truth is i have had this recurring pain for last 6 months or so, not sure if that's my liver crying or what (anyone else have it - well above my belly button just below my ribs). No major cravings (courtesy klonopin i'm sure), just a little irritable.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experiences, curious about your impressions of my course of action/stragety....

Many thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
a hole new life

Hello Poker, Your course of actions sounds great to me, Iam into my 3rd week sober, cant believe it!! Like you I have been drinking everyday for more years than I can remember!!!! One BIG thing I have learnt is that you aint going to crack this addiction on your own. I would suggest you keep doing what you are doing, get to AA, and get as much help as you can, I would not have 3 weeks if it was not for the help and encouragement thats here on this site , keep coming back and share with us. It dosnt cost a penny!
KEEP ON DIGGING DEEP
Old 08-24-2005, 12:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Pokaplaya,

It's not unusual to think you're dying. I certainly did when I stopped. The pain you describe is almost exactly as I remember it.

Your consumption sounds about the same as mine was - It took me several months to get it out of my system, and you're in for an "interesting" ride I should think. If you're made of good stuff and you make the right sober choices you will pull through it.

I don't know anything about klonopin I'm afraid, I did find B supplements worked like real magic at removing some of the vice-like pressure in my head at times. Couldn't have managed without them, and would recommend giving it a try.

Expect your mind to play tricks on you to get you into a 'drinking' situation. It might be worthwhile spending a few minutes writing down all the ways and places you've got accostomed to getting a glass into your hand and think of a plan to 'wreck' every one of them while you're thinking straight.

Quitting will fix a whole pile of your problems - It's worth working at, it really is.

Digger said it - Keep digging deep.

Deg.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Hello amd Welcome to SR....

Please go to our Alcoholism Forum and read the sticky..."Quitting what to expect"

I know nothing about the drug you are using. Sorry.

I do know the pain in my side left after a few weeks sober. Like you...I thought it was my liver screeching.

Congratulations on seeking recovery...
Old 08-24-2005, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Just want to say welcome! Great you are doing an early recovery program.Try to take it a day at a time and not worry about that, evryone else will be in early recovery too and will probably be feeling very similar.Bless you, Trish
Old 08-25-2005, 10:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Finished day 4 of sobriety

OK, 4 down, had group today, wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, also told wifey the extent of my problem, freaked her out a bit, but she's still supportive, the group was only 5 people and 2 of them had to be there for legal reasons, so might not be best group, no sponsorship that i'm aware of either, may switch groups and if that don't work will probably relent and try aa..... (downing my klonopin dosage to 1 mg/day; if anyone has any info/thought bout klono would be greatly appreciated).
Peace.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb

Good to see you are here again!

You might want to go down to to Substance Abuse Forum for your drug question.

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 08-27-2005, 10:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

6 days now, feeling a little down, went to dinner tonight where most were drinking, wasn't too tempted just getting ready to move and running into some complications. Aslo feeling pretty isolated (not tempted, just kinda sad). Additionally been losing at poker (I know gambling and recovery don't mix but it's how i make my living)....
Is there a place on this site for journals? Might want to start one.

Thanks for all the kind words.
pokerplaya
Old 08-28-2005, 12:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done on 6 pokerplaya, You're obviously up for this - and that's a great sign.

I hope you can afford to keep loosing for a while because you're still going to be screwed up for a few weeks yet. The good news is a lot of your cognitive functions will be vastly improved in time - and you'll make more rational judgements than you did when you were drinking. So you'll not only save a fortune on drink - you'll be in a better position to win.

Many folk start their own thread and use it as a journal - makes great reading.

Well done pokerplaya. you're doing good.

Deg.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're doing well, hang in there.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi poker matey,

I'm off out for the day tomorrow (it's a holiday over here and I'm actually taking a day off work for a change) - so I thought I'd drop by your thread and wish you well for day 7 and 8.

Deg.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Poker!
Stick around - sobriety gets easier with each day. Soon you will start to realize some of the positive things that being sober has to offer. Good Luck!
JMHS
Old 08-28-2005, 08:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Poker to the SR family. We are some everyday people trying to recover from addictive substances. And as you already heard you are not alone going through this withdrawal period, but it gets better. I hope you are for some face to face support. That is and i suggest that you try your local Alcoholics anonymous meeting. You can call the hotline or look them up in the phone book. You'll be surprised at the result
Old 08-29-2005, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am on day 3 of sobriety myself from pot and it sure is hard. From here it is hard to see what good is really going to come of this but I know if I ride it out, I will be a lot better off. So will you! Hang in there with me! Get support!
Old 08-31-2005, 03:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi pokerplaya, and welcome Catherine too.
How's it going? Hope things are working out ok.
Deg.