View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pipefish

For sure, really hear you. It's tough, and there are no immediate answers, I think it's more learning to live different, and see different, at least it's been that way for me. I make less than half the money I used to earn in the past ten years. It's been this way for the past 2 years, and am just now adjusting to the reality of it. I earn - but not much. I've made a project out of cutting the cloth, as they say, and it's actually been very rich learning. It's usually when I get stuck in what I am lacking rather than what I have, that it feels hard, or even unpleasant. Particularly, if I make comparisons with my life how it was previously, materially speaking.

When I'm not in that - well, it's good; I'm grateful for the bed I sink into, really grateful that it's warm, dry, safe. I'm grateful for having a beautiful log burner I can sit in front of and toast. Because I have less, I notice things that are for free a great deal more (well, when I'm not in a fug :-)) like sunrises and sunsets this week, the light has been awesome. As time has gone on, I watch no TV, I don't really 'do' consumerism anymore, and find that this leads to far less of a sense of deprivation than one may at first imagine. I'm not deprived of anything I actually need, although coming to that was a process, and it's a challenging one given the culture we live in.

It's never easy to come to terms with a change of circumstance, and it's human nature to be frustrated or low sometimes. I've found that resistance to it, wishing things other than as they are, rather gets in the way of enjoying what is actually there to be enjoyed.

As it sounds like your situation is seasonal, and so may be improved by the turn of the seasons again, and that your wife's disability claim may also be good for your both financially.

Whatever happens, be safe, stay well, and best wishes for you both in 2017.