Old 12-04-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

I am not attending meetings because I do not feel it helpful to my recovery at this point. I did go to some in the past and I remember the stories I heard within and some of the people being triggers for me.

I like coming here because although it is the alcoholism subforum, I can share with other people the insights I've gained about myself since I've gotten sober this time... I don't feel like I'm excessively focused on alcohol, the thing I don't want.. at a lot of meetings, I felt inundated with messages of "I want to drink, I want to drink, I want to drink".. here we talk about recovery. If I do find something that triggers me, I do often say the wrong thing, but then I get called on it and I learn the lesson.. It may not happen that way in person at an AA meeting, I could end up on the ground lol I express myself better in written form, so I feel I have a lot more to offer here.. I try to help people in the hopes it will bring me closure to that part of my life, which I believe 100% whole-heartedly is over. My heart goes out to people who genuinely do not know whether they will pick up a drink tonight, tomorrow, or next month. Maybe that's what I fear I'd run in to too much at an AA meeting.