View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
D122y
Blue Belt

Sun,

No dr. Here....imo...17 days clean is not a long enough time time heal from booze...but 18 months clean...still insomnia...?

Im 19 months sober and I sleep 4 to 5 straight..wake up for about an hour, then get 2 to 3 more...on good days....but that means about 10 hours of committed sleep effort...

This is not always possible.

When I was a drunk I was chronicly exhausted. Drunk sleep is not good sleep.
It is part of the slow mental degeneration.

I offer a few thoughts not mentioned...

1. Exercise. Not super intense, but for a longish time...1 to 2 hours...3 to 4 days in a row...take a day or 2 of recovery...do it again. Overtraining messes up the sleep. Traing properly helps.

2. Stay out of bed unless sleeping. This was a real help. I would watch tv, play on my phone etc. While in bed. It took less than a week for my brain to realize..bed equals sleep. If I can't sleep for more than about 30 minutes...I get up and sit in a chair..next to the bed.

Bed starts to look very comfy after a while in the chair. I also make my bed when I get up...it looks more inviting when it is made up.

3. Naps. Take naps to catch up. I nap in bed or on the sofa. Amazing.

4.....Finally, when you are waiting to fall asleep...thinkg about nothing is relaxing...I do this by focusing only on my breathing and repeating a mantra...over and over....in my case I say the Lord's Prayer and Hail Mary's.

Thanks.