Notices

Ambien and Xanex

Old 08-17-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ambien and Xanex

I have chronic insomnia. I have it really bad. I've been through years of therapy to work on my traumatic childhood and feel that I've dealt with what was dealt to me and I feel at peace in that regard. I do yoga, meditation, exercise regularly, limit caffeine, I have crystals that promote relaxation, a live sleep garden in my bedroom, darkening curtains, and keep it cool, dark and quiet. I still can't turn my mind off. The only thing that works for sure is 1mg of Xanex and 10 mg Ambien and when it's really bad a swig of Z-quil. I've gone off the meds and it was excruciating existence. I've tried every natural OTC you can name. Including Java Java... I just can't remember a time in my life where I have naturally slept.

p.s. today is 17 days AF. I did 18 months AF a year ago and even after all that sober time I still couldn't peace out at night.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you get married with prrson who is you really love maybe that helps you. Not sure, but i can say ppl sleep much more comfortable and in peace with wife(poor english i mean woman you get merried(
Old 08-17-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I'm happily married and he sleeps like a bear next to me.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello ,Sunshine.

I get it. I too am a chronic insomniac. I know all the "fixes" both natural and most of the pharmeuceuticals. I know bedtime protocol. I use all the things you mention plus I wear orange blockers, and unplug my electronics at night. I've also tried sleep restriction. I eat no sugar. I block out and cover all light. Some things like trazadone used to help me. Even Benadryl and melatonin would. After a few months I am always right back where I started. I have just quit taking 2 Benadryl as they no longer work anyway nor the melatonin. I am lucky to get 1-3 hours of sleep every few days. I am going to try and clear out my whole system ( the Benadryl) and then see what transpires after a few weeks. I like you struggle. Most people think we are talking about an occasional thing. I am happy that I only have one problem now, the insomnia and not the alcoholism, too. ( ODAAT). I will not drink over this as I used to relapse for sleep. My brain just will not shutdown. It remains hyperactive. I do not worry about it anymore except I would really like to find something to help.I am going to find a solution. I just wanted to let you know I understand what you are fighting. Best Wishes.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't have it nearly as bad, but can also relate to troubles sleeping and hyperactive mind. There's no shutting it off, no matter how tired or how much you need rest.

If you find something that works, please share.

Wishing everyone restful sleep
Old 12-04-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you tried melatonin to help along with everything else? A small dose could help some.

I would not recommend Benadryl as I had withdrawals coming off of that after a 50 mg a night regimen for 2 years.

Check with your doctor.

Hope you're doing better.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sun,

No dr. Here....imo...17 days clean is not a long enough time time heal from booze...but 18 months clean...still insomnia...?

Im 19 months sober and I sleep 4 to 5 straight..wake up for about an hour, then get 2 to 3 more...on good days....but that means about 10 hours of committed sleep effort...

This is not always possible.

When I was a drunk I was chronicly exhausted. Drunk sleep is not good sleep.
It is part of the slow mental degeneration.

I offer a few thoughts not mentioned...

1. Exercise. Not super intense, but for a longish time...1 to 2 hours...3 to 4 days in a row...take a day or 2 of recovery...do it again. Overtraining messes up the sleep. Traing properly helps.

2. Stay out of bed unless sleeping. This was a real help. I would watch tv, play on my phone etc. While in bed. It took less than a week for my brain to realize..bed equals sleep. If I can't sleep for more than about 30 minutes...I get up and sit in a chair..next to the bed.

Bed starts to look very comfy after a while in the chair. I also make my bed when I get up...it looks more inviting when it is made up.

3. Naps. Take naps to catch up. I nap in bed or on the sofa. Amazing.

4.....Finally, when you are waiting to fall asleep...thinkg about nothing is relaxing...I do this by focusing only on my breathing and repeating a mantra...over and over....in my case I say the Lord's Prayer and Hail Mary's.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A good book to read through is "Desperately Seeking Snoozin."

Best wishes.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great suggestions, thank you for sharing.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In my experience Benadryl has a paradoxical effect after just a few nights...it made me wired...which made me think I needed more...which made me sleep even worse. I stay far away from that now.

Nothing has helped me sleep better than being sober for eleven months combined with regular exercise outdoors. I still have those nights when my brain won't shut off, but I also find that sober I can get by with less sleep with less misery.

Hope you find an answer...it is really miserable.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can speak to your doc about it. There are quite a few sleep medications that are not habit forming they can prescribe.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've had the worst insomnia problems of practically anyone I know and people usually don't understand what I mean when I say "insomnia".
Rotating things so I don't build up a tolerance--- like melatonin, valerian root, kava, and the non-addictive medication Trazadone help.
And the OTC sleep aid Alteril, which is mostly L-Tryptophan.

Also, aerobic exercise close to bedtime has been the biggest help. I discovered this works well because of a physically active job I have where I could hardly keep my eyes open afterward.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I still rely on Ambien, and a sip of Z-Quil. I throw other things in there as well... but all that does is make me unbalanced and tired the entire rest of the day. But I'd rather steal sleep that way than not sleep at all.