View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SoberLeigh

Originally Posted by abcowboy View Post
Ho, ho, ho! Tis’ the season to be jolly… but being jolly doesn’t mean having to partake in the kind of holiday cheer that you get from a bottle or can. The holiday season is upon us and the TV’s are full of alcohol and chocolate ads. The chocolate ads appeal to me more than the alcohol ads lol. But in all seriousness, the Christmas season is a hard one for people like us. Staff parties, family get togethers, catching up with old and new friends, celebrating the festive season. Do you have your plan in place to keep your quit alive and strong?

Bubba’s staff Christmas party is on the 11th. this year. It’s going to held at another staff member’s house. I didn’t go last year for a couple of reasons, one; I wasn’t yet a year sober, but had enough sober time in that the “maybe I could have just one” thinking could easily have got to me, and two; I didn’t want the others to feel uncomfortable drinking around me or asking why I wasn’t drinking. We are going this year though because all Bubba’s co-workers and boss now know I quit drinking and why. So I can go and just be my sober self, not worry about how the others act or what they are thinking, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that I am comfortable with my sobriety in any situation. And I don’t have to worry about being pulled over in a Check-Stop, “No Officer, I haven’t had anything to drink, for almost 2 years as a matter of fact!” Being able to say those words almost make me wish I do get pulled over lol.

The important thing is that you plan in advance, do the things you need to do to protect your quit. Maybe you have to miss certain things just like I did. Maybe you have to take your own AF beverages along. And maybe you need to be proud of the fact that you can celebrate without alcohol! So let’s all remember the true meaning of this season, and celebrate it for what is really means…..
Fabulous post, abcowboy, as were all of them on this thread. Somehow, I previously missed this thread.

Thanks so much for sharing these thoughts and experiences.

So proud to be on this journey with you.