Old 11-29-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Well, I come and go as far as posting. I've met some really nice ppl that I occasionally visit with online outside of SR. I think for me, I do like responding to newcomers because I understand the really crap feeling of being addicted (as we all do). I also understand the feeling of complete despair, as I attempted suicide. I try to approach them where they are at, especially if they ask questions about self-recovery (i.e. Is it possible to quit without a higher power? Is it possible to quit without meetings?, etc) and I often ask if they've tried other methods, if they have a plan, etc.

I think it's a good thing to want to pay it forward, Tatsy. I firmly believe that quitting is a deeply personal and internal thing, but I also believe that as humans we like to see others succeed and find peace. So talking with others about your path is a good thing. That said, don't expect that it will be well received all the time. Sometimes 100% confidence in yourself as a nondrinker can be perceived as arrogant (at least that's what I've been called on several occasions), and giving reasons why you don't adhere to the tenets of recoveryism can be perceived as bashing, but that's ok really. We don't all speak the same language per se, but I still think it's important to communicate regardless.

Your responses to others are always genuine. Continue to speak your truth whenever you want to