View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  
SomeSortOfHuman

Hi there Martin - 41 days is brilliant - we all know how tough it is to get there.

I don't know if this is helpful, but I used to run a lot (need to get back into it!) and I was thinking the other day about some of the similarities between marathon training and sobriety. (Sounds weird, but stay with me...!)

When I got to a steep hill, or just felt knackered after a longer-than-usual run, I used to remind myself that the really tough bits were the bits that were making the difference - the whole point of the run was to get myself to that really hard bit, and pushing myself through it would make me fitter and stronger for the next run. I think sobriety is similar - not picking up a drink when you feel low is the really important bit, as each time you do that, you're strengthening that sober muscle (or willpower or resolve or whatever it is) - so those very low points where it's really hard not to drink are actually your best training session when you've got yourself through them! The experience will make you strong enough to stay sober in the future.

xx