View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by shortstop81 View Post
Hey BB. Yes, I've returned to my former AA group and am starting back up with my step work. I'm setting aside my personal 'issues' with the program, and am willing to give it a sincere effort. I've realized that it's crucial to surround myself with others who are working on recovery.

So I'm visiting family in Michigan for American Thanksgiving. This is an annual trip, and last year I spent most of the visit drunk. I'm so grateful that I'm sober this time around, and woke up this morning without feeling embarrassed.

I bought some NA beer last night and was pleasantly surprised by the taste. It was odd drinking 'beer' and not having the associated effects on my brain. But it was actually kind of nice. I don't think I'll make a habit of having NA beer around, but for holidays like this I feel pretty safe.
Just my $0.02... NA bevs do have alcohol.....not something I would personally mess with for that reason, and many avoid just because of it continuing a habit of "drinking" which can be a slippery slope. Just be careful, esp so early in recovery! Wanting to fit in or keep up some version of my old habits just isn't something I want to try.

And re being angry at ourselves or ruing the past....step 4 in AA (facing my resentments- my wrongs and part in things, in four categories) addressed this. Now I do feel healed- "we do not regret the past nor do we shut the door on it (BB 4th ed)- and when these feelings crop up, use my program tools to put them back in their compartments.