View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

Agree with NewRoman - I am an adamant advocate for using the right medicines under a good dr's supervision. I am honest with my dr (that was a problem in my active alcoholism, to say the least!) so now I get the benefits of the ones she prescribes. I agree with her description of them as just more tools in my box of recovery aids.

Many will have different opinions, especially on things like benzos (side note: I do take one, ativan, under her supervision, for anxiety; I am ok with this, too), however I strongly believe that drugs like Campral and Antabuse when appropriate (I took it for the first 90 days of my sobriety) are excellent ideas for many of us.

Also, the reality for me- I think for all of us based on what I hear in AA meetings, on here, wherever- is that there are plenty of struggles in sobriety. If this isn't one for you, that's one of the promises coming true, as we say in AA. I'm grateful that my problem has been removed (today) and work to keep it gone. While it's amazing that I haven't craved after the massive habit I had, and might seem "unfair" or "easy," that's my reality and my type of alcoholism. I accept it.

Dealing with what I need NOW is what I focus on- not the future when I might get sick or have surgery or need different daily maintenance meds, even (another side note: I also take lamictal for BPD even though those characteristics are greatly diminished now that I am sober; and I take seroquel for sleep every night).

Keep going and keep being honest with your dr. Good luck!!