View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh my gosh - AA saved my bacon, and still does. If you've done it before, you already know how much of a relief it is to just be in a room with other people who understand where you've been, and won't judge you because of it. But beyond that, working the steps has really given me a deeper understanding of what makes me tick, and how to get at the bottom of my thoughts and feelings, and why I am the way I am. Not even just why I drank, but all sorts of things about myself. If you put a sincere effort into working the steps, you'll learn better ways to deal with everything that comes your way. You'll learn how to let things go that are out of your control (Hint: almost everything) and how to take time out to think things through before reacting. You'll learn to identify the people in your life who are toxic to your well-being, and because you will be making new connections, it won't be as scary if you need to broom some people out of your life, or at least take a step or two away from them.

I could go on and on. I have truly learned more from going to AA than I ever did from years of one-on-one therapy.