View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kellyrally

So Day #16 was a toughie...

So it's the end of day 16 for me which is the longest break I've had from wine in years and years.

I've been feeling really good until today, when I got some bad news about my job - my contract is not going to be extended into next year which I sort of knew was coming but didn't really want it to go that way of course.

So as expected, was feeling pretty ****** about it. I almost went to the store after work to buy a bottle of wine, but thankfully I didn't.

That's how I used to "deal" with things. I'd get upset and then numb myself out with a bottle or more some nights. But of course, I realised long ago that the bottle doesn't help anything; it doesn't "deal" with anything.

It took me quite a looooong time to talk myself down. I was on the edge of going the other way. My thought process went a bit nuts. I started thinking things like: "Well, it's unrealistic to totally quit anyway....why don't you just try to moderate instead?....You deserve a bottle of wine for 15 days sober..." and so on.

But instead of giving in to the urge, I came on to SR. Thankfully there was a kind person on the chat who talked me out of it, or helped at least. I bought a bar a chocolate on the way home instead. I didn't drink tonight and I'm glad.

Just wanted to share as it helps and I'm really glad I have this forum. It definitely is a good place to come to when feeling the cravings.