View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Well Mcboyle, it is what you do today that will determine if you can stay stopped. Maybe you are one of those who can just make up their mind, and that's an end to it. Or maybe you are like me, prone to the weak spot as you call it.

Try willpower and self knowledge by all means. See if it works, it just might for you.

It never did for me though. I had many weak moments, many moments of frustration and despair wondering how it had happened . I had no effective mental defence against the first drink at certain times. Sane thoughts that should have stopped me did not come, even as close as a few hours after the last disaster.

What does that look like? Not very dramatic actually, quite thoughtless. Wrong place, wrong question, wrong answer - bar, what are you having? beer please, then after drink number three, oh heck how did I get started? Why was I in the bar? No idea, don't even remember walking in. Some folks manufacture weak excuses, but I wasn't that sophisticated.

So what I did each day was try and find an effective 24/7 defence against the fatal first drink. I found it through AA and a god of my understanding. It has given me total freedom from alcohol for 36 years. Each day I do something to maintain that position.

It is what I do today that counts. Same for you
All the best.